Thursday 13 March 2008

experimentation - computer work


In order to explore structure in a more efficient way I have decided to do some 3d modelling using a program called Blender. This allows me to work with large numbers of objects and maniplate them easily using the software toolset. For instance I can make thousands of hexagonal prisms conform (in terms of height) to a smooth, cuved surface. In 'honeycomb'I made a single hexagonal prism and made it conform to a triangular surface mesh (Each vertex was a starting point for a prism).
I have tried to illustrate a simple form derived from a complex structure. I have made the structure more organic by adding irregularities and anomolies. The image 'anenome' was a partial accident that resulted in a very strange organic form. Essentially, it is the same as 'hive' except that the prisms have been rotated with respect to their vertex normals.

No comments: